Saturday, February 10, 2007

Coke, Freedom and Enlightment

I saw Noreena Hertz and Johan Norberg in a web cast of the Dutch 'Niew Economisch Peil'. A very interesting emission for anyone speaking dutch. Two things struck me:
- Johan Norberg had stuck three world maps behind his desk on the wall. One showing global Coke consumption, one showing GNP and one showing how far countries had come towards democracy. The maps showed stunning similarities...

- Noreena Hertz said, as an argument for fair trade, "Why should I be lucky to have all these chance, just because I'm born in a rich western country. Why shouldn't people in other
be able to get those chances." Suddenly it dawned on me what Buddhists mean when they say the I is an illusion: the I is a product of it's environment...
I do agree with her though that resources should be shared more equally or some tensions will rise too high.

No comments: