Tuesday, February 21, 2006

On Intelligence

A few days ago I finished 'On Intelligence'. One of the most inspiring books I ever read. It's a very accessible, yet in depth, explanation of how the brain works. While many statements sound bold and unfounded, there is a scientific base to it, and most importantly a few falsifiable predictions are made so the theory can be scrutinized the way Carl Popper would approve it.

Jeff Hawkins explains how neural networks are no way near the way a real brain works. He also explains why the whole AI movement is on the wrong track and proposes a very interesting algorythm for the brain which integrates a lot of recent work on neurology. If you're interested in the algorythm: go read the book. I won't try to explain it in one post.

What I found stunning is that the algorythm Hawkins proposes explains a lot of patterns in human behaviour that are mentioned in other books I like. (McWhinney, Korzybski, Pirsig, etc.) It's like a giant puzzle coming together.

One of Hawkin's coworkers has modeled the algortyhm in a computer. It seems to work. I want to try that too. It seems the new LEGO NXT has a more powerful chip and programming software by the guys at National Instruments. Maybe I can build intelligent stuff with that...

My favorite quote from the book is "Consciousness is what it feels like to have a neocortex". Meaning that the hierarchical neocortical system that allows for abstraction and pattern recognition makes us experience what we call consciousness.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you do, please let me know! I'm thinking on how to use the On Intelligence principles to build some really powerful things for Lego Mindstorms NXT.

Filip
bNXT.com